On August 13, 1997 a little girl was born. That little girl was me! On August 13, 2020 I will be turning 23 and oh how time flies.
Let me tell you, I have been gone through it these past 23 years. Don’t get me wrong I am grateful for everything and every opportunity in my life but it hasn’t been easy to say the least.
Turning 23 is not the easiest age for me to accept. I have past the exciting age of 17, getting my license…18, getting my freedom…21, legally being able to drink, what is 23? Nothing special, just another year of getting older.
This is the first year I don’t want to be the age I am turning. It seems as is the older I get, the more life gets hard, and I went through a lot at 18.
There’s more pressure to succeed and do things the way everyone is told to do them from a young age.
I didn’t go to college, I didn’t get a good job out of school. I hit a rough patch, but I’ve told myself it’s expected because of everything I went through during the developmental years.
Yes, life has not been the kindest, but that’s all the more reason to be grateful and not take life for granted. With that being said, here are 23 things I learned before turning 23.
- Slow down, life goes by fast, if you don’t stop for a second you might miss it.
- Anger solves nothing, forgiveness breeds personal growth.
- You probably wont end up with your first love, trust me I didn’t believe them at first either.
- Say I love you a lot, you never know when it will be the last time.
- Don’t take things for granted, everything teaches you something.
- Be honest…even when its hard, people will respect you more for it.
- Your emotions are valid, don’t hide or excuse how you feel, you’re allowed to feel however you want.
- You should eat today, even if you ate too much yesterday.
- People will leave, let them go.
- Some will stay, these are the ones who truly care about you.
- Your siblings are actually kinda cool, I never thought I’d say this one.
- People suck, this one is obvious.
- Sometimes you’re the toxic one, accept and learn from it.
- Do what scares you, it will teach you more than you think.
- Listen to your parents, they actually know a lot.
- Drinking doesn’t make you cool, I learned this one the hard way.
- Neither does speeding, risking your life and others in not cool.
- You don’t need a credit card at 18, just because it’s legal doesn’t mean it’s the best idea.
- Hate only makes you a worse person, show kindness and respect to everyone, even if they might not deserve it.
- Overthinking and intuition are hard to tell apart, listen to your heart but make sure it’s for the right reasons.
- Things aren’t always okay…but thats okay
- Life is actually really hard, and it doesn’t actually get easier.
- but stay, its so worth it. Believe me there is so much to experience.